Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Yes Patient

"The best prescription is knowledge."
--Dr. C. Everett Koop, former Surgeon General of the US

In Western culture we are taught to trust doctors and completely follow their advice. I went for help with my illness with full faith in my physician. I was the "yes patient." Following his orders exactly, I had several expensive and painful surgeries. It wasn't until later that I learned that some of the surgeries he wholeheartedly recommended were outdated and often made symptoms worse in patients with my illness.

It's very important to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion when it comes to surgery or expensive treatment options. It's important to know what tests you're being given and why they're being given. It's important to ask questions, research, and know what medications you are taking, why you're taking it, and what it does. Now, I have a team of doctors that I can trust. I can follow their advice and know that it will improve my condition. All of their suggestions are supported by current research and I know this because I've learned (the hard way) that I always have to do my homework.

No comments: